What I like about August is… savoring the last days of summer amidst the buzz of back-to-school time. August is all about making the most of the moment, while looking forward to learning new things.
So we thought now is the perfect time to teach you a new trick to help you embrace the end of summer. It’s one of our favorite improv games called “What I Like About That Is…”
Here’s how you play:
- Engage in conversation with someone. Anyone. Your friend, your kid, your co-worker, your coffee barista. Whoever is around.
- No matter what the other person says, start your reply with “what I like about that is…”
- Say (or just think to yourself) “what I like about that is…” every time you speak and see where the conversation takes you. Notice if the other person smiles and nods a bit more.
- Knowing that you are going to reply with “what I like about that is…” forces you to listen with a positive ear. So you turn off your hyper critical mind and only hear the good stuff.
- When your conversation partner discovers that you like what they’re saying, you’ll connect and build an alliance. It feels good to have someone like your idea.
- Instead of “what I like about that is…”, you can say other things like:
- What I respect about that is…
- What I appreciate that is…
- What’s cool about that is…
Allison & Elizabeth
Um, when does the pool close?